May 24, 2008

Doors, Mirrors, Coins, and Tornadoes

I spent today alternating between feeling really superficial and trendy and feeling really little and childish.


Part of it (the second part) was because after work I went to a couple of used bookstores looking for some series that I used to read as a kid. Specifically: the Oz series, and Edward Eager's "Magic" series. I found one book I actually used to read and a book by a children's author that I love anyhow (The Emerald City of Oz and The Doubtful Guest by Edward Gorey).

I was thinking about what I used to read as a kid and realised that most of the books that I remember in clear detail and would read often were books about magic and coincidence and fantasy. Like Diana Wynn Jones' "Crestomanci" Series, and the Oz books and what not. My absolute favourite was After Hamelin. It's a retelling of the Pied Piper told from the point of view of one of the children who were left behind. She saves the rest of the kids through a dream.....anyhow. The point. Not that there is one.

I've established with myself that I'm not super funky. I don't really do DIY past minor alterations and dye jobs. Bright neons and bold patterns are not my thing. I like clothes that are simple, straightforward, to the point. When I think of "childhood" and then clothing I picture my old friend Eliza who would come to school with a fishbowl (with accompanying goldfish) as a hat. But the pure, simple majesty that I remember (the kind that could turn a play structure into a pirate ship) is harder to pull off because it is harder to put your finger on.

It's less obvious, therefore it does not translate as well as wearing a strawberry shortcake tee.
This girl pulls off what I'm talking about. I see it as a piece from Alice In Wonderland that you can wear out and about without looking like you're trying desperately to be Alice.

in short: I want Oz without the blue plaid dress.

No comments: