November 18, 2008

Adding Fuel To The Fire

My hands are stiff because it's already below freezing and I can't find my gloves. Ow.
Also: I don't know what happened to my post about the shoes, but Roxanne: In response to your comment,  I have had a hard time preventing the zipper from undoing itself and slipping on to my foot.

Through fashionista.com I found this article/interview with Alexander McQueen about the reasons why he wanted to do the Target collection, as well as the inspiration behind it (woooot).  I sort of see why he accepted this offer as opposed to something from H&M.  Target (or at least, my perception of Target) has a different appeal and different audience at H&M.  If you think about it, H&M has the different "departments" that range from trendy & funky, trendy & high-fashion-y, and trendy & basic.  It started off as for the "fashionistas", the ones who were far enough ahead of the curve to find the few H&Ms that had popped up in their city, and grew from there.  The perception that I have of Target is that is a lot more massive - not quite so trendy - more along the lines of "daily basics that make you look presentable and get you through life".
A very smart idea, business-wise, for Mr. McQ.  It sounds like he thought it through (read the article, it's very good).  I tip my hat to thee, and also to this:
The collection has a muted color palette of black, white, gray and tan with accents of cobalt blue and bright pink. Studs and mesh giv
e items an edge. There are studded jeans, shorts and denim jackets with asymmetrical closures, short tuxedo jackets and matching shorts, dresses in a blue and white painterly fabric, a one-shoulder dress in a gray-and-black zigzag pattern with a thick black belt, and a T-shirt with the image of Moss.........“It’s more ab
out the music scene and fashion scene in the East End area, where I live,” said the designer, adding the point of the line is not to educate people about fashion, but rather, “it’s a feeling about the time we’re living in. If you start to give the whole of America that sense of where I’m from, the undergrou
nd music scene, it’s not so much about a logo, it’s more about a feeling.”

Also, you should read the Q&A with Leila Moss.

WWD: How does it feel to be considered a muse for someone like McQueen?

L.M.: It’s sort of preposterous and delightful at the same time. I feel like I’d be a bit of an a--hole if I was really lapping it up too much, but obviously it helps you feel more justified about what you’re doing, your performances. It’s justified all of that hard work — like people have noticed your movement and the visceral quality of what you do — so, for someone to actually approach you and talk about design, it’s very cool.
I'm quite excited, and happy that Target.com ships to Canada.

No comments: